Monday 10 June 2013

Moments in time…

Not a great drawing but a two minute scribble almost twenty years later becomes so much more. Every time I look at this old scraping of mine I’m taken back to a sunny afternoon sitting in the car beside the bee-buzzing garden of the cottage we were renting in Wales.

There was the smell of lavender in the air, the glint of the sea past the mountains in the distance. I was waiting for the others to come to the car and in those couple of empty minutes dashed off the old shed which stood in a field on its own. I remember every line and the way the pen felt upon the cheap paper that I found in the glove compartment as I sketched the fast disappearing, tumbled-down shed.

The year after, when we rented that cottage again, the shed was gone and the field had been cleared.

No, it isn’t the greatest drawing in the world, but it’s a moment in time caught on paper that will never take place again and perhaps the only evidence remaining that the old shed ever existed. Besides - it’s my moment in time.

1 comment:

  1. Flora Marriott commented on Confession time:

    What a lovely sketch and memory!

    ReplyDelete