Thursday 29 July 2010

Walking on the Moon...

Watch out for jellyfish, don’t step on one, it’ll sting.’ My Mothers warning each and every time I ever stepped, bare footed, onto the beach. I never did step on one and I don’t know anyone who ever has – does anyone?

And then last week, washed up on the sand at the edge of the water, all silvery sheen and trailing tentacles, the gelatinous mass looking like a creature fallen to earth from outer space, a Moon - and I almost did.

I almost set foot on the Moon, well a Moon, almost walked on it, almost but not quite. The common jellyfish, a biggish one, almost a foot across, not the biggest on record, but big enough. Occasionally one will grow to four feet in length, Aurelia aurita, the common jellyfish, a Moon. Not dangerous like the Box or the Man of War, not a killer, but dangerous enough to cause a painful rash if you were to touch the tentacles.

I didn’t. I left it alone.

No bones, no brain, 95 per cent water, a little poison – the jellyfish, not me.

I found a huge Lion’s Mane jellyfish once; washed up on a Cornish beach, washed down from the arctic, an eight feet lump of fly covered yellowish jelly. And only a couple of weeks ago, mingled with the bladder wrack on Whistling Sands, thousand on thousand of tiny Saucers thrown up on the sandy shoreline, the sea full, the beach covered, their delicate pinkness turning to dull grey in the warm holiday sunshine.

7 comments:

  1. I've swum through shoal of baby jellyfish in the Maldives. There wasn't much I could do about it they were everywhere. It felt very stingy and my skin felt really itchy, very similar to prickly heat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Youch! I don't like the sound of that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jill Nelmes commented on Facebook:

    "I did and it bloody hurts!!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle Haendl commented on Facebook:

    Yep, I've had jellyfish stings all over my arms, legs and face from Bluebottles. My friend who was with me got stung underneath her armpits and went into shock as it went directly into her lymph node....not good but she recovered okay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Facebook conversation:

    AKH:
    God that sounds awful where were you?

    Michelle Haendl:
    Manly in Australia. The bluebottles come every year in Jan/Feb....you feel like you are on fire for around an hour but then all you are left with are big welts where the stings where.

    AKH:
    Ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pic of Bluebottle Jellyfish

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/idonothaveacat/9061366/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear AKH,

    I came across this post when looking for pictures of jellyfish that had washed up on the beach, and very much like the second photo in your post. Would it be OK with you if this photo were used in some MSc level work and in an academic survey? Your blog and photo would be appropriately cited/referenced, of course, and the work is definitely not for profit.

    Sincerely,
    C. Baulcomb

    ps - For what it is worth, please accept my condolences for the loss of your cat. What a terrible thing to have happened.

    ReplyDelete